I made many ‘Goals’ for myself for this coming year. I don’t make New Years Resolutions per say, however, I always re-evaluate the past year and see what I would like to improve on or work on in the coming year. It’s good to have goals. Anyhow here are the things I want to work on in 2011.
- Eat Less Wheat…way less. Max 1 serving a day. My body hates wheat and I would like to be 100% gluten free one day, but baby steps.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit everyday, replace 70% of grain based products in my diet with F&V bulk.
- Get active, get running again. I have been soooo inactive while on maternity leave this past year. Sure lots of walking, but that’s it.
- Recycle and compost more. I already do very well at this, but not 100%. I want to attain 100% of composting and recycling everything in my house that is, in fact, compostable or recyclable.
- Lastly-Reduce Chemical products in my life. Find natural, chemical free products that I actually really like and can live with, that will replace my cleaning products and beauty products.
So now..what I have done already, in the first 2 weeks of 2011.
- Nothing, not nearly enough in the wheat department. Boo.
- Totally mastered the fruit and veggie bulk..yeay, have 5 servings of veggies just today in fact.
- Active, nope not yet. My YMCA membership will be renewed this week through work and I have to figure out how to fit working out into my current schedule with that baby. It seriously seems impossible to work full time, be a mom AND get your butt to a gym. However, it’s winter with lots and lots of ice and snow, I don’t do running in 2 feet of snow, thus no outdoor workouts (aside from brisk park walks with Dog and Baby, which are also not happening except weekends right now. Hey man, it’s dark when I get home from work at 5pm and baby goes to bed at 8pm)I will figure something out, if nothing else as the day’s get longer I will get in more park time and some runs.
- Recycle and Compost-I would say I have gone from 70% to 85%, certainly still room for improvement. Truthfully, the deep snow makes me not want to run the organics out to the backyard, so I have been sometimes tossing em when I know I shouldn’t. I will work harder still.
- Chemical Free-I need more help and research on this. I already do Olive oil on my face and have eliminated antiperspirant long ago in favor of salt crystal, I also use an all natural zinc based sunscreen on Baby E. . I use white vinegar and baking soda on everything from glass to cloth diapers and I use 1/10th of the recommended amount of the laundry detergent we do use and that works just fine.
Here are the other things I want to change if anyone has suggestions of GOOD and EFFECTIVE natural products I am all ears.
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Non oily, apply and go, facial moisturizer
- Mascara and eye make up in general
- Bathtub scrub that works to get tough grime off (I have tried baking soda so many times and keep going back to Comet cause it’s the only thing that seems to actually clean my tub well. However, I hate my baby anywhere near Comet and rinse like 100 times, wasting water, before letting her get near the tub).
- Mildew Preventative on shower curtains
If I think of more I will add them later.