and it’s done…
Well, in response to my post yesterday…I went to sleep hopeful and I woke up to a bleak future for Canadians.
I thought we were smarter then that guys…Really? Rewarding a leader for bad behaviour, what are we teaching our children?
It’s done and all I can do now is hope and pray that it’s not as bad as I fear it will be…Hello corporations, oil and military..goodbye equal rights for women, minorities and low class citizens..Welcome to the Bush Era.
This is perhaps a good time to take stock of who the Harperites have spent their time attacking in the past several years. The list of organizations that have been shut down and cut back, and the individuals bullied, is a long one and we can expect it to grow.
Community organizations, NGOs and research bodies reported to have been cut or defunded:
· Action travail des femmes
· Afghan Association of Ontario, Canada Toronto
· Alberta Network of Immigrant Women
· Alternatives (Quebec)
· Association féminine d’éducation et d’action sociale (AFEAS)
· Bloor Information and Life Skills Centre
· Brampton Neighbourhood Services (Ontario) 
· Canadian Arab Federation
· Canadian Child Care Federation
· Canadian Council for International Cooperation
· Canadian Council on Learning
· Canadian Council on Social Development
· Canadian Heritage Centre for Research and Information on Canada
· Canadian International Development Agency, Office of Democratic Governance
· Canadian Labour Business Centre
· Canada Policy Research Networks
· Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women
· Canada School of Public Service
· Canadian Teachers’ Federation International program
· Canadian Volunteerism Initiative
· Centre de documentation sur l’éducation des adultes et la condition feminine
· Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA)
· Centre for Spanish Speaking Peoples (Toronto
· Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada
· Childcare Resource and Research Unit, Specialink
· Climate Action Network
· Community Access Program, internet access for communities at libraries, post offices, community centres
· Community Action Resource Centre (CARC)
· Conseil d’intervention pour l’accès des femmes au travail (CIAFT)
· Court Challenges Program (except language rights cases and legacy cases)
· Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood Centre Toronto: (Funding cut by CIC in December 2010).
· Democracy Council
· Department of Foreign Affairs, Democracy Unit
· Elspeth Heyworth Centre for Women Toronto: (Funding cut by CIC in December 2010).
· Environment: Youth International Internship Program
· Eritrean Canadian Community Centre of Metropolitan Toronto (Funding cut by CIC in December 2010)
· Feminists for Just and Equitable Public Policy (FemJEPP) in Nova Scotia
· First Nations Child and Family Caring Society
· First Nations and Inuit Tobacco Control Program
· Forum of Federations
· Global Environmental Monitoring System
· HRD Adult Learning and Literacy programs
· HRD Youth Employment Programs
· Hamilton’s Settlement and Integration Services Organization (Ontario) 
· Immigrant settlement programs
· Inter-Cultural Neighbourhood Social Services (Peel)
· International Planned Parenthood Federation
· Law Reform Commission of Canada
· Mada Al-Carmel Arab Centre
· Marie Stopes International, a maternal health agency – has received only a promise of “conditional funding IF it avoids any and all connection with abortion.
· MATCH International
· National association of Women and the Law (NAWL)
· Native Women’s Association of Canada
· New Brunswick Coalition for Pay Equity
· Northwood Neighbourhood Services (Toronto: (Funding cut by CIC in December 2010).
· Ontario Association of Interval and Transition Houses (OAITH)
· Ontario Association of Transitional Housing (OAITH)
· Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care
· Pride Toronto
· Réseau des Tables régionales de groupes de femmes du Québec
· Riverdale Women’s Centre in Toronto
· Sierra Club of BC
· Sisters in Spirit
· Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
· South Asian Women’s Centre
· Status of Women (mandate also changed to exclude “gender equality and political justice” and to ban all advocacy, policy research and lobbying
. Tropicana Community Services
· Womanspace Resource Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
· Women’s Innovative Justice Initiative – Nova Scotia
· Workplace Equity/Employment Equity Program
· York-Weston Community Services Centre Toronto
Excuse me while I go cry.
Really though, I work in the Not for Profit sector, on behalf of people with barriers to employment…so this has a deep and stinging impact on everything I believe in and work for. I choose to make less in order to promote social welfare. I believe everyone deserves equal treatment, equal opportunities and equal access to health care.
I guess if I have to find some optimism in this it’s that the NDP and Jack Layton made huge, major strides for their political party in Canada and showed the Liberal party not to take their seats in parliament for granted.